Strengthening Policies and Practices for Low-Carbon Green Growth in Asia
ADBI, Tokyo, Japan : 16 July 2013 - 19 July 2013
This event aims to (i) facilitate discussion among research and policy making communities on low-carbon green growth, (ii) assess key policy challenges in tackling climate change and accelerating green growth, and (iii) discuss implications and relevance of the ADB-ADBI study for policymaking.
Asia is at a crossroads. As the world's most populous region, with high economic growth, a rising share of global greenhouse emissions, and the most vulnerability to climate risks, Asia must be at the center in the global fight against climate change. Simply stated, Asia's resource- and emission-intensive growth pattern is not sustainable, with further gains in human will-being constrained by the environmental carrying capacity. Asian leaders recognize low-carbon green growth as an imperative—not an option—for developing Asia.
The region has taken on board the message that it must change, and it is starting to move toward low-carbon green growth. Many emerging economies have started the shift toward a new sustainable development paradigm that brings competitiveness to its industries and serves growing green technology markets.
- Panel discussion to discuss the key findings of the ADBI book on low-carbon green growth.
- Thematic course based learning sessions on policies and practices effecting low-carbon green growth.
- Group discussions for developing credible regional cooperation strategies to accelerate low-carbon green growth.
- Evening leadership seminars on identifying priority actions and innovative design of policy frameworks.
- Field visit and fact finding mission on resource efficiency practices.
- To review and assess the low-carbon and green growth policies and practices taken by major Asian countries,
- To share the lessons learned in climate change mitigation for widening and deepening actions at the sectoral and national level,
- To identify policy gaps and financial mechanisms for working together.
- Enhanced awareness on the causes and consequences of climate change mitigation.
- Clear understanding on integrated policy frameworks that will accelerate low-carbon green growth in Asia.
- Improved capacity to design and analyze regulatory and market based policy instruments.
- Strengthened partnerships and senior officials' policy statements to advance low-carbon green growth agenda through regional cooperation.
High-level academics, think tank scholars, senior policymakers and others.
English (no interpretation will be provided)
Share country experiences and discuss multiple strategies to formulate action plans and road maps that will further proactive policies to strengthen low-carbon green growth practices in Asia.
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
For more information: http://www.adbi.org/event/5750.policies.practices.low.carbon.green.growth.asia/